TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Thanks! I rebuilt them myself. Went very smoothly so I’m
People Seeking Info

Subject Thanks! I rebuilt them myself. Went very smoothly so I’m

Posted by doug8867 on September 12, 2023 at 1:20 PM
  This message has been viewed 211 times.

In Reply To Sounds like a caliper issue. Did you rebuild them yourself? posted by ZaXxon on September 12, 2023 at 07:42 AM

Message A bit surprised I’m having issues with caliper sticking when hot. Write up here on TT.net was a big help. Pistons were in great shape. No pitting or rust. The original dust boots were shot though hence the rebuild. Figured while I had them disconnected I’d do the lines.

What is confusing me is why the brakes work fine when cold or first driven. For example, there is a parking lot with a very very slight almost imperceptible incline about 7 minutes from my house. I can drive there with a few stops at signs in between and then stop in the lot and put the car in neutral and it will slowly creep forward. But if I drive another 10 minutes or so with more stops and starts and return home I can feel the drag on the return. Then when home my car holds still on a roughly 5 degree incline of my driveway so the calipers are definitely sticking when hot.

Would a caliper issue only manifest itself when it was hot? And if so why?

Could the dust boot grease cause it?

There was red and orange grease that came with the rebuild kit. My understanding was the red was for lightly applying to rubber dust boot seal, the orange for sliding pins that hold the brake pads on our cars. That what I used it for. I probably could apply it more liberally on those pins though… but I replaced the front pads with the same amount of lube on those pins and have no issue with the fronts so don’t think that’s the issue.

I applied a light coat of red grease to the dust boot. Mainly the outside of it. Do you think that’ could be an issue?

Any other troubleshooting steps I could take to confirm?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.